Lanzhou Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (hereinafter referred to as Lanzhou Compounds Institute) was established in 1958. The three laboratories of Catalytic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry and Lubricating Materials of the former Institute of Petroleum, Chinese Academy of Sciences (now Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences) were moved to Lanzhou. It was inaugurated in June 1962.
Lanzhou Institute of Chemical Sciences mainly conducts basic research, applied research and strategic high technology research in the fields of resources and energy, new materials, ecology and health. It is strategically positioned as "Resource and Energy Chemistry and New Materials Innovation and Research Base in Western China", and strives to build itself into a national research institute with "first-class achievements, first-class management, first-class environment and first-class talents", with distinctive characteristics and important international influence, which is irreplaceable and capable of sustainable development in China.
Since its establishment, through the hard work and innovation of several generations of researchers, the institute has won 242 scientific and technological awards, including 41 national awards (including 1 national scientific and technological Progress Grand Prize for the first unit) and 37 provincial and ministerial level first prizes. It has made great contributions to the national economic construction and the development of science and technology, especially the development of China's petrochemical industry and strategic high technology. At the same time, he has made a series of creative contributions in catalysis, lubrication and tribology theory and separation analysis science and technology.